- So it seems like Markdown Pluggable UI (and other text-based UIs) can’t be merged into master because there’s no commenting functionality. After speaking to a couple mentors a few days ago, I started working on displaying code for rendered UIs instead since commenting seemed pretty tricky. Here’s what I have so far. I would love any feedback on it and whether I should keep working on it (it’s really hacky at the moment).
- Figure out whether I should continue working on rendering code for text-based review UIs and if so, continue working on that.
- I think “Rendering pluggable UIs in lightbox” can be merged to master without Markdown Pluggable UI. I can remove the changes I made to markdownui.py in that review request so that it doesn’t have any dependencies on the Markdown stuff. Those changes were for testing purposes anyway. Should I go and ahead do that?
- Addressing comments in r/3457 which should bring it out of WIP
- Preparing for the UCOSP presentation on RB
- Unfortunately the last step in the project description for Inline File Attachments will not be finished before the hard pencil down date: “post-review would need to be updated to optionally upload binary files”
- Also, the possibility of adding a GUI to optionally upload binary file attachments has been discussed with Christian but needs more design/planning.
Scheduled to talk about it after the deadline.
- Polish r/3457 more into something committable/merge-into-master-able
- Add more to the blog post: https://reviewboardstudents.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/tldr-useful-tips/
- Just to clarify, the pencil down date is December 4th, 11:59pm, PST and we can add new WIP review requests before that date as we wish or is it better off not to submit any more WIP review requests from now on to the deadline?
- Addressed comments in both r/3435 and r/3575, both out of WIP, awaiting final comments (In terms of scope, this will round of that to which I have committed officially)
- The actual manual trigger (needing new API resource) is not yet in, though I am willing to push for that by tomorrow if the rest looks good enough.
- Permissions, as discussed with smacleod, will not be included, but I would like to discuss the possibility of completing that portion after the term is over.
- Polish off all that is critiqued in the current reviews
- Contemplate stubbing out the actual manual trigger if that is deemed possible / desirable by the mentors
- Just feedback on r 3435 and 3575, including comments on UI as shown in screenshots, would be appreciated. Thank you!
- Addressed comments left on r/3488.
- Browsed other review requests and left some comments.
- As of now, GitHub is the only supported hosting service. I’d like to add one more, but I’m not sure that I’ll have time.
- Try and get r/3488 landed.
- I asked a few questions on r/3488 that have not been answered. Mostly, I’m wondering what the form fieldset that has the “Associate SSH key” field should be named. Any suggestions or is the name I have okay (current name “Review Board Server SSH Key”)?
- Addressing comments in r/3389 and r/3560
- Going into more detailed testing.
- No actual roadblocks at the moment.
- A more detailed explanation of the testing done for r/3560.
- A banner at the bottom of the page should appear when a review request is updated(discarded/changed/submitted etc).
Keep on polishing my work.
Soon remove WIP tag on r/3389 and r/3560.
- None at the moment.
(Landed) Thumbnails Project: Wrapped up all last-minute loose ends, such as fixing the corresponding tests to account for the thumbnails project changes in how Mimetype Handlers (for file attachments) are now registered.
(Landed) ReviewUI Integration via Extensions: Now able to register custom ReviewUIs through ReviewBoard Extensions. Tested with sample extension that registers a simple XMLReviewUI that syntax-highlights XML file attachments.
(Awaiting Review / Blocked) Sample XMLReviewUIExtension: a simple XMLReviewUI that is pluggable into RB through an Extension. This a mix of 1) proof-of-concept for the previous project, and 2) something useful that might be extended beyond syntax-highlighting for reviewing XML in the future. Currently blocked on this until we figure out 1) how to implement commenting for Text-ish ReviewUIs (made some headway last night in discussion with ChipX86 last night) and 2) the exact extent that we can aim to implement before Dec. 4th.
(Responding to Fixes in Review) Documentation: How-To Guide on Plugging in ReviewUIs via Extensions: Currently fixing some style issues.
(Awaiting Review) Thumbnails for XML File Attachments: Addressed concerns in review; waiting for additional comments (or a ship-it! 😉
- The big thing is the same roadblock already mentioned by aam1r: commenting for text-based ReviewUIs. I think we have a good approach, but ideally some loose ends such as implementation details / time frames can be clarified through a meeting to help us proceed.
- Not sure what’s next in the queue to work on / document.
- Fix the issues raised regarding the documentation for Review UI Integration.
- Is it possible for us to arrange a short meeting between a few mentors + aam1r + slchen before our regular meeting on Sunday to go over the ReviewUI commenting functionality in some detail?
- What can I document next if I’m blocked on my current tasks?
- Finished rb patch, and rb close
- Fix rb close submission, right now I submitted it incorrectly, should be easy to fix.
- Mercurial not workin, I keep getting an error when post-review’ing my mercurial changes (after a hg commit). http://pastie.org/5455551 which prevents me from fully testing Mercurial, though it should work.
- Test more
- hopefully work on another command
- fix any possible future things from review feedback
- Can you recommend another command to work on?
- Addressing comments and issues in r/3535/
- Adding support for patches not based off of master
Roadblocks / Things Missing:
- SSH authentication to buildbot, although I think I can have something by the 4th, it may not be in a state that can be landed
- Support for configuring the buildbotbin path on a per worker basis
- Storing the PB password securly
- Associate the worker(s) ssh keys with the buildbot server,
- Keep addressing any new comments
- Same question as Tina about submitting WIP code before the deadline
- Addressing comments in r/3458
- Finished Swipe and Onion views, working on Difference view
- None, but hoping to wrap up Difference view by the end of the day
- Continuing to work on Difference view and trying to pull r/3458 out of WIP