Author Archives: Joonas

Meeting Minutes: May 4, 2014

General Announcements:

  • Final week for TUT, so review requests out of WIP ASAP and start the final review cycles.
  • MIT has about 2 weeks.
  • Since time is running low, it’s a good idea for everyone to try and be updating there code as often as possible.
  • Make sure to keep the feedback loop tight these final days. If you have an issue or question don’t hesitate to ask.
  • We’re most active in here (IRC), so come in here and poke us. And stay in IRC. Use your bouncers if you’re not always in here.

Stephanie

  • I fixed the issue with removing widgets. I load them all. And then change the dom in the javascript. like mike suggested. Also thanks to purple_cow for the detailed code review. I’m currently working on that.
  • purple_cow: When do you expect to have new code up on reviewboard?
  • 2 hours after this meeting.
  • smacleod: What are your next steps? what’s needed until we can get these requests out of WIP?
  • Just cleaning up my code, getting more reviews.
  • And new pictures (screenshots for the widgets).
  • smacleod: Excellent, I’d say you can probably take the WIP tags off then and really start finalizing things.

Tomi

  • So I posted new review request about changes to Bugzilla support and have been fixing issues on the other review requests.
  • smacleod: awesome! What’s holding you back now from taking things out of WIP?
  • Adding caching to bug trackers as purple_cow suggested.
  • And find out a way to get the bug tracker url inside the BugTracker instances. But that can be given outside so it is probably not an issue.
  • smacleod: Alright, since this is your last week you’ll want to really start nagging us for reviews and start finalizing things.

Joonas

  • The mobile menus now seem to work so I can probably take my patch out of WIP.
  • smacleod: Awesome! it looks like we need to get you some reviews on r/5620.
  • smacleod: is there anything other than reviews blocking you from finishing this up?
  • I don’t think so. I will take it out of WIP to get reviews.

Edwin

  • So i’ve been working on sandboxing the register things. And I think right now for those, I just need to write the tests.
  • The one i was working on was r/5738 for ReviewRequestFieldSEt.
  • I had a question about the tests though. so when I make a test hook, how do I make it cause an error – since it’s not directly calling a function in the hooks?
  • purple_cow: You’ll want to create fieldset and field classes that raise exceptions in the methods you wrapped. And then your hook will just include those. You’ll want to have a test for every function that can be called into.
  • ChipX86: There are lots of functions, and they should all be sandboxed. Every one of the functions that’s called externally. Just go through each one, grep the codebase, see how it’s called, sandbox, write a unit test for that code path, and test before/after your sandboxing.
  • smacleod: If you get any more questions like this, or have questions about specific code paths etc. come to us immediately in IRC.

Audore

  • smacleod: Could you please update the blog status report to include a link to the bug “Mike suggested”.
  • So I refactored and updated my code according to purple_cows comments. And the part 2 is also now out of WIP. So I’m pretty done with those, though I’m waiting for more reviews.
  • purple_cow: I still see an open issue on that review request.
  • smacleod: ( https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/5706/#comment14587 )
  • Yeap, I was hoping you could see trough my code and see if I made the changes you wanted. Because I’m not sure I understood it right.
  • purple_cow: Can you reply to that comment with that question so that when I come back to this later I’ll remember that?
  • Yeap. I’ll do that.
  • smacleod: if you have any questions like that this week make sure to bring them to us immediately.
  • Yes, I will.

Tami

  • smacleod: Ah, those instructions for setting up extensions are way out of date.
  • I was wondering if it might be better to work on some bug fixes for the rest of the semester.
  • purple_cow: At this point, I’d say probably.
  • purple_cow: Try not to do any of the EasyFix ones because we have a new crop of students coming soon.
  • purple_cow: We can look through the tracker after this meeting.
  • Is it possible to get reviews on my request before the last week – just in case there’s something i need to fix?
  • purple_cow: I’m happy with it but because of its size, at least one of the other mentors should look before we push. So… other mentors, get to it.

Status Reports: April 12, 2014

Joonas Lindholm

This Week

Next Week

  • If I finish with the top navigation menu I could work on the navigation bar with “My Dashboard”, “New Review Request” etc.

Blockers

  • I put some discussion here (/r/5655/) about the viewport width size we should use for the responsiveness to take effect. Would like some comments from Mirai and/or the mentors on that.

Questions

  • None.

Stephanie Su

This Week

  • Developed widget removal interface.
  • Worked on back end to save changes for adding and removing widgets.

Next Week

  • Continue working on both frontend and backend to display the saved state.
  • Integrate changes from code review feedback.

Blockers

  • None.

Questions

  • None.

Edwin Zhang

This Week

  • Continuing sandboxing, writing test cases and fixing my first patch.

Next Week

  • Continue sandboxing and writing test cases.

Blockers

  • None.

Questions

  • None.

Iines Piesala

This Week

  • First I had to move my development environment from my mac+fusion+vagrant to my linux server, because the vagrant or fusion kept losing file endings and didn’t save  the files properly. Luckily the linux server I have works like a dream.
  • Moved the review request for part 1 out of WIP, before that I cleaned the style and refactored the code.
  • Made a WIP review request for the part 2 of my project.

Next Week

  • I plan to carry on with the part 2 of my project and also refactor my code for part 1 based on reviews.

Blockers

Questions

  • How would you like to the highlighted row to be shown to the user?  (like different color background or bold frames etc.)

Mirai Akagawa

This Week

  • Worked on the review-detail page for mobile, adding back the comments section and allowing for them to expand nicely in mobile.

Next Week

  • Work on diff viewer mobile…

Blockers

  • None.

Questions

  • None.

Tomi Äijö

This Week

  • I have been trying to add authorization support for HostingServices acting as bug trackers, this turned out to be more complicated than I assumed.
  • scmtools/forms.py is even currently quite complex, adding the authorization support for the bugtracker hosting service makes matters even worse.
  • I am splitting r/5513 into two parts; bug metadata support (getting summary, status, and showing the bug infobox etc.) and posting comments (things that need authorization). I attempt to get the former out of WIP by tomorrow.

Next Week

  • Either continue work on the authorization or adding metadata support
    for different bug trackers
    .

Blockers

  • None.

Questions

  • None.

Bhushan Ramnani

This Week

  • Made changes as per reviews for #5653. Implemented post-receive hook for Bitbucket (with only Git support as of now) #5698. Understanding how svn works. Tried to implement a pre-recieve hook for beanstalk but turned out to be a pre-deployment hook which has a different purpose from what I initially assumed. So did not go ahead with that.

Next Week

  • Add support for svn to beanstalk post-receive hook. Implement testing for both repository types.

Blockers

  • None.

Questions

  • None.

Tami Forrester

This Week

  • Finishing up those tests – I’ll have everything up before the meeting 🙂
  • found a bug after making tests – reviews on private review requests aren’t being filtered, so I’ll need to get that fixed.

Next Week

  • Look over possible projects and start working on one.

Blockers

  • Filtering for private review requests seems to be fairly complicated (line 294 of datagrids/managers.py) – does filtering for private reviews have to be similarly complicated?

Questions

  • None.

Meeting Minutes: March 23, 2014

Announcements / General tips

  • Even on break, we’d really like people to try to attend the meetings.
  • For some of you, we’re getting close to the end. If you’re in need of reviews, come get us.
  • When you’re working on fixes to your changes based on our feedback, please click “Fixed” on issues as you’re fixing them locally, and not when you put your new change up for review. That helps us to keep track of how far you are, even if we haven’t seen the new change yet. It also helps you to treat the open issues as a todo list, and prevents accidentally closing issues prematurely.
  • ..that offer extends to you all, btw (about not having to stop contributing when the term ends)
  • As we get closer to the end, make sure you come to us during the week with anything and remind us to look at things if you go even a day without a review.

Round-robin

Tomi

    • The bug infobox is fetch similarly as the user infobox, with mysterical “load” function, I suppose it is djblets stuff. Is there any way to catch 404 with that? Or how should I handle cases where the bug tracker does not support fetching the meta data? SOLVED

Stephanie

[Excused: MIT on break]

Anselina

  • Sounds like you’ve got things for us (and the rest of the team!) to review. Sounds like you’re nicely oriented for the finish line – plenty of time to iterate on review feedback.
  • I still need to define the hook’s URL in github.py directly, but this requires bhushan89’s work on URL patterns for hosting services. I’ve already done this to check that it works though (and it does)!
  • Something you can do is take his patch and commit it to a branch locally, then make your branch off of that, and post only your commits.
  • Besides that, I think my projects are all basically done, so I was thinking of fixing some bug if I end up with extra time in the week?
  • Bug fixes are great :D. But, if you’d like to work on something else we would totally love it as well. You don’t have to stop contributing when the term ends 😉
  • Plus, there are other review requests to give reviews on.

Bhushan

  • I’ve added the repository_url property in the Bitbucket class. When we register, the urls should have been added to the patterns, as tested in request 5510. But it’s not getting added. I tried doing ./setup.py develop and ./contrib/internal/prepare-dev.py, but that didn’t work.
  •  Yea that’s the main roadblock right now.
  • So I need to create a Bitbucket repo and connect it in reviewboard ?
  • You’ll need to do that for your real-world testing, definitely.
  • <heapify> bhushan89: (I actually left a review with 2 changes that should fix your problem)
  • Also, I’d like to discuss about my midsem feedback with the mentors.
  • Lastly,  there are some comments I made on heapify’s review request. That will help me with my project as well.
  • So, heapify is basing some of her work on yours… are you going to have to do something similar?
  • So I’ll try following the rbt commands to merge with her branch.

Joonas

  • I like the idea of distilling the topbar with a drawer menu, the title, and the search icon with responsive media queries. So you’ve got to get some code down for that. Try to get us something every week that we can look at. You should be able to plow through a few things. Even if each is very prototype-y.
  • Right, Joonas_ is on titlebar duty.

Mirai

  • I’ve been practicing media queries.
  • Try to get us something every week that we can look at. You should be able to plow through a few things. Even if each is very prototype-y.
  • I can do the review pages.
  • Do you think the review request pages are a discrete enough chunk? Something tells me you might want to distill it down further. To a single UI element or something. Like, perhaps the review details box at the top. And then once you get that done, move on to another UI element. Does that make sense?
  • Yes.

Olessia

  • I finished testing the new hosting services this week and addressesd most of the feedback I got on my review yesterday. There were a few things that I wasn’t sure about in the feedback, so I left comments on the review – if ChipX86 could take a look that would be great. Especially what get_item for both of the new apis should return.
  • Like, just take WIP out of the summary, and we’ll really pound on the patch – I think you’re at that stage. That’s just a convention for you to indicate that big pieces are still missing and we should take that into account when looking at the patch. If all the pieces are there and you’re just fixing up review stuff, take it out of WIP.
  • Outside of that, I was also wondering what should I focus on in my last two weeks?
  • 1) Reviewing other review requests is one thing.
  • 2) Find a “smaller” bug in the issue tracker (use your best judgement, or ask one of us to find you one). Maybe not an EasyFix, since you’ve got the chops now to tackle bigger things.
  • 3) Ask us if we can find you a smaller project to hack on for the last few weeks.
  • Anything else I can do for the APIs? if not, I’ll start picking up bugs
  • There is a ton to do there (and your work is getting us a large step of the way). Just need to see what’s suitable for 2 weeks.

Iines

  • I’ve refactored the code based on ChipX86 review, but I somehow managed to get things mixed and now the code wipes the comment flags out when a code line link is created.
  • Can you put that change up for review? We might be able to spot the problem.
  • Ok.
  • For the part 2: i’m aslo wondering when the page loads it somewhere while rendering removes #-char from the URL.
  • We use backbone routers for handling the “#…” stuff. So you’d need to read about those and integrate with that. David wrote all the routing code for the diff viewer and can probably help out.
  • But yeah i’ve fixed most of the things mentioned in the review, i have to update the review.
  • We already mentioned this, but while you’re going through your fixes, can you please tick off your issues as “fixed”? We like to track your progress.

Tami

  • I’ve been working on displaying the tabs for the reviews and review requests on top of the grid.
  • Were you successful in architecting it in a re-usable way?
  • I’m working on that now, i can get that up for review probably today or tomorrow.
  • If i bring both pages into a single view they won’t have separate urls. Where can i pass in the info to know what i’m trying to view? Solved

Edwin

[Excused: MIT on break]