Author Archives: matthewcmaclean

Meeting Minutes: July 27, 2014

Attendees

Mentors: Christian, David, Anselina, Mike, Steven

Students: Volodymyr, Salam, Raheman, Matthew, Peter

Announcements

  • Deadline on submissions is August 12th, two weeks from now.
  • Get code out of WIP and budget time for code to be reviewed.
  • If patches are not landed on master, they’ll be put on a project branch to be continued afterwards (by you or someone else).
  • Put status reports and meeting minutes under the appropriate category.

Round Robin

Matthew

  • Have some code to be reviewed
  • Is per node configuration of supported repositories in the MVP

    Yes, refreshing tools will need to be changed a bit and what is listened to at startup.

Raheman

  • Reconsidering scope of work. Unsure if api or model changes are required. A front end change involving a placeholder seems like a better solution.

    There will be a jarring effect on the cursor if you backspace over the placeholder.  Approximating the link size with the placeholder will also be difficult. Using the actual link and making api changes is a better experience for the user.

  • Decided to hammer out the details of the api change after the meeting.

 

Peter

  • Found a couple places where together js is passing information, but not entirely sure on the update scroll messages.

    To trace it down, instead of looking through the code it might be easier to connect two clients to a session and having each client attach listeners to the message. Then you can watch what comes through. Check if it “just works”, if not we can dive into the code and figure out the configuration. Look first to see if the message exists, then look to see the information being passed.

  • Are my two open review requests close to being shipped? Should I document how to test it?

    We’ll give them another look. The CSS one looks close and we just need to test the other a bit. It would be great to set up some documentation in the extension on how to set up a hub. Also, if you could include all of the modes of the extension you tested while working on the CSS patch.

Salam

  • Posted Django template code as WIP, but not sure how to test it.

    You need to add a template to the templates folder of the checklist extension. Then in views.py, that template_name can be set by default in the header to “checklist/options.html” (or whatever it is called). You can pass variables etc to the template and have your template extend our base template.

  • Going to talk with purple_cow on the subset of the project which is possible within the remaining time.

Volodymyr

  • More or less blocked on reviews. I wan tto get one of the diffs landed this week (as it doesn’t change behaviour). The others will need to go to a project branch.

    If the UI isn’t perfect, we’ll keep improving it before it’s released, or you can keep hacking on it after the course finishes. We’ll review your code.

 

 

 

Status Report for July 5, 2014

Volodymyr

Project name: Reviewing attachments

Links:
https://reviewboard.hackpad.com/Reviewing-attachments-tbfh4oiwTHB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4-b9SiWwiQ

What you accomplished this week.
Iterated on existing reviews. Main change – revision selectors now extend a CommonRevisionSelector class, which contains stuff that both of them use. Reviews will be updated shortly:
https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/5911/
https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/5824/

What you plan to do next week.
Keep on iterating, possibly change a UI for revision selection.

What, if anything, is blocking you from making progress?
During the previous meeting we agreed that it would be nice for me to reuse existing file attachment API. However, that API doesn’t appear to provide all the information that I need. I’m missing: serializedCommentBlocks, numRevisions, revision and attachmentHistoryId. Should I extend the existing API with these fields, or would we like to use a separate one?

Any other questions
How the UI for selecting attachment should look (it all comes down to where should I place a selector). See video for an idea of how it looks now.

Matthew

Project: Extending Review Bot to allow tools to run on the entire repository

HackPad: https://reviewboard.hackpad.com/Review-Bot-access-to-entire-repository-QUHGKxc3M3R

What you accomplished this week.
I can switch commits and update the base repository everytime a call to the repo is made, but it is done on the base repository only. I also investigated changing files based off of what is being reviewed.

Links to anything you’ve done this week
Waiting for hackpad answers to upload my code review update.

What you plan to do next week.
Act according the the hackpad answers.
Explore making the full repository optional for repositories.

What, if anything, is blocking you from making progress?
Hackpad question.

Any other questions
No

Raheman Vaiya

Project name: Per User File Storage/DnD file attachments

HackPad: https://reviewboard.hackpad.com/DnD-functionality-for-commentreview-images.-GkNpfAx8O2k

What you accomplished this week.
Learned about the Python/Django/Reviewboard testing frameworks

Links to anything you’ve done this week:
https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/5954/
https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/6022/
https://reviewboard.hackpad.com/DnD-functionality-for-commentreview-images.-GkNpfAx8O2k

What you plan to do next week.
Finalize/test model changes, start looking into API changes

What, if anything, is blocking you from making progress?
Nothing

Any other questions
No

Peter Tran

Project: TogetherJS Extension

Hackpad: https://reviewboard.hackpad.com/TogetherJS-Stuff-XkauVIgVsF5

What you accomplished this week.
Posted Review Request for CSS: https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/6066/

What you plan to do next week.
Get user to input their own hub instead of using the default one.

What, if anything, is blocking you from making progress?
Nothing. I’ve received guidance on how to proceed next.

Any other questions
No

Salam Alyahya

Project name: Updating Checklist Extension

HackPad: https://reviewboard.hackpad.com/Updating-Checklist-Extension-rx6nO0sfA1z

What you accomplished this week.
Updated the prototype
Changed the colors of the prototype
Templates now take over the whole extension
    http://jsfiddle.net/salam0smy/AX427/16/
Made a quick small plan on what I need to modify for the template feature
fixed the code that I pushed for html and css changes
    https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/5933/
    
https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/5939/

What you plan to do next week.
Start and finish checklist templates Django model

What, if anything, is blocking you from making progress?
i’m not sure if its the right place to start with

Any other questions
No

Status Reports: June 15, 2014

Salam Alyahya

  • What you accomplished this week.

    • Cloned reviewboard_together extension
    • examined the code
    • the command ‘python setup.py’ won’t run! (error: no commands supplied)
  • Links to anything you’ve done this week:

  • What you plan to do next week.

    • Figure out what I need to to for the project i’m assigned to.
  • What, if anything, is blocking you from making progress?

    • This week has been extremely busy with school work.  I’m sorry I was not able to put enough time into reviewboard this week. 
  • Any other questions

 

Volodymyr Lyubinets

  • What did you accomplish this week?

    • Finished changes to the model. I think that using id of FileAttachmentHistory will do the job for ordering (to be discussed).
    • Now we only display the latest versions of each file under file attachment.
    • Another iteration on the backbone view for attachment uploading – moved away from gReviewRequest hack usage.
  • Links to anything you’ve done this week:

  • What do you plan to do next week?

    • Implement proper delete – it should take care of old versions as well
    • Start implementing the revision interface we agree on
    • Another iteration on current reviews
  • What, if anything, is blocking you from making progress?

    • We will have to discuss the interface for viewing attachment revisions. I’ll present my thoughts.
  • Any other questions

    • I might ask some tomorrow.
    • If someone has 5 minutes of time, please give another batch of review comments for https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/5911/ (note that some things are not implemented there yet).

 

Peter Tran

  • What you accomplished this week.

    • Installed TogetherJS/Reviewboard’s extension of TogetherJS
    • Put together a hackpad with my thoughts executing the different tasks
  • Links to anything you’ve done this week:

  • What you plan to do next week.

    • Make the existing extension more RB (CSS)
  • What, if anything, is blocking you from making progress?

    • TogetherJS extension is properly installed but not recognized in the admin panel
  • Any other questions

    • See hackpad.

 

Matthew Maclean

  • What you accomplished this week.

    • fixed reviewbot complaints on code
    • investigated flow of review data to try and find required commit information
  • Links to anything you’ve done this week:

  • What you plan to do next week.

    • give tool file path to the original repository
    • switch to base commit
  • What, if anything, is blocking you from making progress?

    • I’m not sure how I can get the commit id a change is based on
    • code review
  • Any other questions

    • Could you review my code and look at the hackpad. I was very busy this week unfortunately and did remember to push on having those looked at.

 

Raheman Vaiya

  • What you accomplished this week.

    • Polished up DnDEditor code so it should better approximate what the final product will look like. It is ready for the first iteration of review.
    • Explored different parts of the code base, specifically how Backbone interacts with reviewboard web resource APIs (via RB.BaseResource)
  •  What you plan to do next week.

    • Continue learning about interaction between front and back-end components, once I have a clear conceptual model I can begin thinking about the required Django models.
  • What, if anything, is blocking you from making progress?

    • Nothing at the moment but I will have to spend some time learning about Django models next week.
  • Any other questions

    • No

Meeting Minutes: May 25, 2014

Attendees

Mentors: Christian, David, Mike, Steven, Anselina

Students: Peter,  Volodymyr, Raheman, Salam, Matthew

Announcements

  • Try to split work into 3 to 4 hour chunks
  • Add links to hackpads and diffs for notes and diffs/interdiffs

Round Robin

Peter

  • made mockups for UI
  • m_conley – likes the mockups, going to look at it more then hand it back
  • ChipX86 – start working on mockups or intial code or something for backend. Do WIP change or hackpad with infrastructure design before doing too many unit tests

Volodymyr

  • mentors – will get back on how to link file attachments to reviews. ChipX86 is recommending a M2M relationship, but purple_cow is concerned about the complexity as referencing these relationships directly instead of the ORM handling it is rare.
  • What is ScreenshotThumbnail?
    ChipX86: you can comopletely ignore that. That predates generic file attachments.

Raheman

  • mentors – link uploaded images to users rather than the comment. This allows for easier monitoring of upload privilege abusal.
  • How are backbone models and api resources related? Some models extend Backbone.Model directly, but don’t provie mechanisms for syncing with backend stuff.
    ChipX86: Not all models have a server0side representation, only those extending BaseResource are ones that talk to the API. Most models just store local state and do thinks like compute new state, send events, etc.

Salam

  • developed a basic understanding of code structure
  • having problems with ‘intelligently’ fetched chunks for each comment
    ChipX86:  We inject the <script> tag because that allows the browser to cache it, making future page loads faster. It’s an advantage over using an API for it. The project is going to be a lot less about the front-end and more about the diff backend code and it may get complex.
  • Switching projects as a result

Matthew

  • How to get more info on the commit a diff is based on?
    smacleod: so the review request should have access to information about the base commit etc. well, the filediff.
  • Looking to get more git control in the python code
  • It was recommended to focus more on general architecture initially as it will be the more difficult task