Author Archives: mirai418

Status Reports (Oct 6, 2013)

Advertisements

Status Reports April 6th 2014

 

Tami Forrester

This Week

  • Working on adding tests for the user reviews.

Next Week

  • Finish that up and get this out of WIP!

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

 

Anselina Chia

This Week

  • Added a check to find a review request with a matching commit ID if the regex doesn’t match.

  • Looked into fixing the handling of adding empty files — I have a few ideas on how to approach this, and will hop on IRC to get some input.

Next Week

  • This is my last status report since the school term is over, but I’ll be back after exams, if not earlier. 🙂

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

 

Edwin Zhang

This Week

  • Started sandboxing and wrapping the hooks with error handling code.

Next Week

  • Continue sandboxing

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

 

Olessia Karpova

This Week

  • Update Hosting Service Repository resource based on the review comments.

Next Week

  • This is my last report for the term – study for exams.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Joonas Lindholm

This Week

  • I Worked with the top navigation bar and uploaded new UI:s and diff to /r/5620/.

Next Week

  • Continue working with the navigation bar: Including the search bar, fixing some functionality issues, refining the UI (would like some feedback on the current design) and testing.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

 

Tomi Äijö

This Week

  • Fixed rest of the issues on r/5531/

  • Have been testing the integration against JIRA, found a few issues that needs to sorted out

  • I will update r/5531 later today with updated screenshots

Next Week

  • Fix the issues and get r/5531 out of WIP

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

 

Iines Piesala

This Week

  • Fixed the problems I had last week with the template and also with the comment flag in two column diffs. I updated my review request with

    the code (https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/5576) and marked the issues, which I have fixed.

Next Week

  • Do an early implementation of the part 2 and update the review request. I hope to get the early implementation so, that it will somehow alert/show the line where the link is.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Mirai Akagawa

This Week

  • Worked on the navigation/action components of the review-box.

Next Week

  • Polish the mobile version of the review-box, then move to comments and other section of review,

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • Regarding Django if statements with url matching: I want to execute some code in base.html based on the current url path.

 

Bhushan Ramnani

This Week

  • Tested the bitbucket post-receive web hook. Integrated Anselina’s change for matching commit id in the web hook. Most test cases passed. However, found that anyone can close anyone else’s review requests by just providing the request id in the commit message. As part of my next project, will work on providing a pre-receive web hook that will check for approval before closing (as suggested by David). Did some research on which hosting services can support that. Found that only Beanstalk provides it (http://support.beanstalkapp.com/customer/portal/articles/75806). It’s known as a pre-deployment web hook. However, beanstalk is a paid service. So don’t know how I’ll test it.

Next Week

  • Modify the hook-utils so that only authorized user is able to close it (if that is required). Complete testing of bitbucket post receive hook. Start work on pre-receive web hook for beasnstalk (after discussion with mentors).

Blockers

  • Still facing issues trying to use rbt for mercurial repo. Review request gets generated but the diff files are not getting uploaded.

Questions

  • None

 

Stephanie Su

Last Week

  • Finished front end for adding and removing widgets (using dummy images that I will need to replace later)

Next Week

  • Work on saving the changes on the back end

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  •  None

 

 

Meeting Minutes: March 30, 2014

 

Announcements / General tips

  • UCOSP is wrapping up – this is the _last_ required meeting for heapify and olessia! from what m_conley can see, the two of them are in the right spot with their projects, just solidifying the last bits

  • m_conley would like them to stick around after the semester ends – and adds that others should do as well

  • m_conley: As we get closer to the end, make sure you come to us during the week with anything and remind us to look at things if you go even a day without a review.

 

Round-robin

 

Tomi

  • question regarding to an open issue here: https://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/5531/#comment14233

  • added new url to reviewboard (r/rr_id/bug/bug_id/) that redirects to the bug tracker url to get the infobox url similarly as the user infobox constructs it (just add infobox/ to the bug url) Asks if it sounds okay.

  • m_conley and purple_cow thinks its fine

  • no other questions or blocking factors

 

Stephanie

[Absent – MIA]

 

Anselina

  • projects are done, just fixing bugs

  • m_conley  points out she’s handling some smaller bugs as approaching final day

  • question for purple_cow: Bhushan told me you said it could be a good idea to add a check to see if the review request’s commit ID matches the revision that got pushed? (this is after the regex has matched a review request ID in the commit message) – should I add this?

  • purple_cow I think that would be something nice if the regex doesn’t match

  • oh, if the regex doesn’t match, which review request’s commit ID would we be checking the revision with?

  • purple_cow you’d use the commit ID to try to find the review request

  • m_conley heapify: awesome. Great work this semester!

 

Bhushan

[Absent – Travelling]

 

Joonas

  • (m_conley looks at screenshots from review request)

  • Joonas_ – this point when resize the window the top navigation links move vertically aligned/one below another. now just hide them under a Menu button.

  • m_conley asks – idea is instead of sliding in a drawer from the side, to stretch down the titlebar?

  • Joonas_: yes – asks if it sounds good.

  • m_conley was personally more interested in the slide-y drawer thing, but thinks perhaps it is because he is more used to it. also curious to know what performance impact, if any, there is in increasing the vertical height of the page by stretching down that titlebar. claims sliding in the drawer over top with a CSS transform is nice because it offloads the work to the GPU and doesn’t require reflow whereas stretching an item like this will require reflowing the document

  • Joonas_ hadn’t thought about that.

  • m_conley (reflowing = making the document recalculate the heights, widths and locations of things, which is a computationally expensive thing – especially for complex documents)

  • m_conley asks how difficult it’d be to have it slide in over top. any sense of the scale of that work?

  • Joonas_ doesn’t know – just worked on the drop down menu – hasn’t done a slide out drawer before but can investigate in that

  • m_conley has done stuff like this before and suggests he talk after meeting, hash out what is required.

  • Joonas_ agrees.

  • m_conley – regarding question from status update this week – suggests sketching out something after meeting

  • Joonas_ is okay with that.

  • purple_cow  – probably also move the search box into the drop-down and hide the version number – everything that’s in the header takes space away from other stuff, so on mobile it should be super streamlined

  • * m_conley nods

 

Mirai

  • m_conley – would like screenshots from mobile versions – to lower the barrier for the feedback-givers as much as possible – give us all of the materials we need to give you feedback quickly, and we’re more likely to give it to you quickly

  • bro1 can definitely do that

  • m_conley is really eager to see what this patch does. 🙂

  • bro1 will get screenshots up tonight

  • m_conley points out looks like Joonas_ asked you a question in your review request, that you’ll want to address

  • bro1 will take care of that as well

  • no other questions – m_conley suggests bro1 not wait for feedback but start ahead with other stuff

 

Olessia

  • olessia is wrapping up, so really appreciate some answers to the questions on the review request

  • m_conley –  alright, can provide those

  • ChipX86 meant to get the rest of that when he got back into town, but been knocked out of commission all week from a nasty cold – going through it now

  • olessia hopes ChipX86 is feeling better

  • m_conley asks  if anything else you need from us before the term ends?

  • olessia – No – asks about performance review

  • m_conley according to Michelle, the evaluations go in on April 11 – so sometime after that

  • m_conley – olessia: great job this semester! – says we hope to see both you and heapify stick around – you’re both great contributors, and we’ve got plenty of work. 🙂

  • olessia thanks m_conley and claims she learned a lot.

Iines

  • two problems with the code in review request – if those figured out, can move forward – and also can’t get the template working

  • purple_cow asks to show the code for template

  • Audore not on review request currently

  • m_conley – :/

  • ChipX86 points out mentors want to see new code every week

  • Audore – because when I implemented I got an error right away, that the variable wasn’t declared – yea, there lot’s of other code

  • m_conley and purple_cow both want to see the errors that are generated – all of it

  • m_conley  – even if it’s not polished, we need to see where you are and what you’re doing  – impossible for us to help you if we can’t see what you’re doing. :/

  • Audore: ~~ok

  • m_conley requests to  update review request with _all_ of current code and then include a pastie of the error

  • no other questions

 

Tami

[Absent]

 

Edwin

  • m_conley claims edwingzg identified some places where we need sandboxing.

  • edwinzg has a list on hackpad of everywhere where i found the hooks being used – noticed a lot of them weren’t really used outside of being defined in hooks.py. asks if thats expected. e.g. DashboardColumnsHook

  • ChipX86 claims should be at a point now where, every single week, you should be able to get us at least 2 review requests, each one sandboxing something – follow the code and note what that one does

  • ChipX86: that’s an interface around registering columns – other code then looks up from that registry – you’ll need to sandbox where the columns are being looked up – many of the hooks register into central registries like that

  • edwinzg – that part is clear, but one more question

  • purple_cow told edwinzg that for testing i should create a new extension which misbehaves and activate an extension – was wondering where the best place in the could to do that would be and how exactly i create a new extension?

  • ChipX86: we have an extensive guide on how to do just that, plus a helper script: http://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/dev/extending/extensions/

  • m_conley thinks it’d be excellent if this testing could be part of our automated testing suites

  • edwinzg asks how to add it to the automated testing suites.

  • ChipX86: every directory has a tests.py file where the unit tests live

  • m_conley: believes we have tests that create and register extensions somewhere

  • ChipX86 –  we already have tests for the hooks and the registries that some hooks call into you can just add new tests that simulate failures

  • m_conley:  reviewboard/extensions/tests.py is where you’ll probably want to put your new tests

  • m_conley: so to not run the full suite each time – also https://reviewboardstudents.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/running-subsets-of-review-board-tests/

 

Status Reports: March 29, 2014

 

Tami Forrester

This Week

  • Finished most of the project – i think all of the desired functionality is finished at this point.

Next Week

  • Figure out how testing works, and implement some for the reviews grid.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

 

Anselina Chia

This Week

  • Resolved review issues for my projects (Git hooks have been pushed!)
  • Submitted a patch for issue #3117

Next Week

  • Fix the handling of adding empty files (they currently aren’t included in the diffof a review request)

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Edwin Zhang

This Week

  • Noted where/how all the extensions/hooks are being used and started sandboxing

Next Week

  • Keep sandboxing

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • How do I test to make sure that the hooks are being sandboxed correctly?

Olessia Karpova

This Week

  • Addressed the review issues from last week
  • Writing a blog post required by the faculty supervisors

Next Week

  • Finalize all code, since it’s our last week of class at UofT

Blockers

  • Would appreciate response to the comments I left on the review request #5602

Questions

  • None

Joonas Lindholm

This Week

  •  Made the top navigation bar collapse and added the UI’s to /r/5620/. Not really working code yet, though.

Next Week

  • Keep on working with the navigation bar(s) and upload code for review.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • Since on desktop “Documentation” and “Get Support” are under the “Support” dropdown
    and “My account” and “Log Out” are under the “My name” dropdown, should we also use
    this hierarchy on mobile? If yes, how could the UI look like? Or would it be enough
    to display just for example “Documentation” and “Get Support” without the “Support”?

 

Tomi Äijö

This Week

  • Fixed issues on r/5531/
  • Spent time finalizing the bug infobox.
  • Created templates for the bug tracker comments

Next Week

  • Get r/5531 out of WIP
  • Start adding support for additional bug trackers.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

 

Lines Piesala

This Week

  • I will tomorrow update my review request with the refactored code

Next Week

  • Continue with the project.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Mirai Akagawa

This Week

  • Worked exclusively on the review-detail box for mobile. The information box now collapses in mobile and can be expanded.

Next Week

  • Keep working on this component, if done, go to next component in review-detail.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

 

Bhushan Ramnani

This Week

  • Implemented Bitbucket post-receive web hook (#5653). Performed basic testing using a Git repository. Made the required changes to review request #5510.

Next Week

  • Perform more testing on Bitbucket post-receive hook.
  • Start working on a new project based on mentors’ advice. (post receive web hook for some other hosting service, Mercurial post receive local hook, post-commit web hook for Bitbucket).

Blockers

  • While trying to test Bitbucket web hook on a Mercurial repo, I faced the below issue while doing rbt post: http://pastie.org/8977819

Questions

  • None

 

Stephanie Su

Last Week

Next Week

Blockers

Questions

 

 

 

 

Status Reports: March 22, 2014

This post will be updated as reviews come in

Tomi Äijö

Last Week

  • Refactored the bug tracker integration code
  • Fixed issues on the bug tracker integration review request (r/5531, will update the review request once I’m done for the day)
  • Implemented the simpler configuration UI for the bug tracker integration (see attachments in r/5531)
  • Fixed issues on r/5591

Next Week

  •  Planning to get r/5531 moved out of WIP
  • Finish the bug infobox
  • Create templates for the bug tracker comments (similar to how emails are compiled)
  • After this I will start implementing support for different bug trackers as new review requests

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Stephanie Su

Last Week

Next Week

Blockers

Questions

Anselina Chia

Last Week

  • Refactored the GitHub hook
  • Made the regex customizable

Next Week

  • I’m wrapping things up too for the end of the term, so I’ll focus on resolving any review issues that come up.

Blockers

  • It’d be great to get reviews on /r/5543, /r/5403, and /r/5596!

Questions

  • None

Bhushan Ramnani

Last Week

  • Made the requested changes on review request 5510. Awaiting response.
  • Started working on the post receive web hook for BitBucket, which supports Mercurial. Read the documentation for bitbucket and mercurial web hooks (Request 5653). A lot of code that Anselina has written can be reused here.
  • Will work on the design and implementation tomorrow. I think only the ‘get_review_id_to_commits_map’ function will be a little different. We should probably make that an instance method of individual Hosting Service classes and use a template method design pattern to implement it.

Next Week

  •  Finish implementation and testing of Bitbucket post-receive hook.

Blockers

  • I’ve added the repository_url property in the Bitbucket class. When we register, the urls should have been added to the patterns, as tested in request 5510. But it’s not getting added. I tried doing ./setup.py develop and ./contrib/internal/prepare-dev.py, but that didn’t work.

Questions

  • I need to merge with Anselina’s branch. How do I do that ?

Joonas Lindholm

Last Week

Next Week

  •  Maybe try implementing #1.  I also need to improve and organize the media queries for login and registration pages (/r/5620/)

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Olessia Karpova

Last Week

  • Finished testing the hosting service API
  • Addressed most of the feedback in the code review

Next Week

  • Will depend on mentor feedback, but start wrapping things up as the end of the term approaches

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Iines Piesala

Last Week

  • I’ve refactored my code based on Chipx86 review and plan to submit update to my review request before Sunday meeting.

Next Week

  • Continue working on my projects part 2, highlighting the wanted code row.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Tami Forrester

Last Week

  • Worked on the frontend and finally figured out how to structure the views (thanks ChipX86!)

Next Week

  •  Finish implementing the frontend – this will involve a few changes to the current code in my review request.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • No questions – also MIT is on break next week \o.o/

Mirai Akagawa

Last Week

  • Still working on converting current RB into more responsive UI. Worked on how selecting different stylesheet works.

Next Week

  •  Really start writing more code on this.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Edwin Zhang

Last Week

  • Getting familiar with the extensions and hooks.

Next Week

  •  Start sandboxing/wrapping the hooks inside exceptions

Blockers

  • Nothing, but I was just wondering when I wrap the hooks with some exception handling, how I test to make sure it works?

Questions

  • I won’t be at the meeting this Sunday because MIT is on spring break.

Status Reports: March 15, 2014

Tomi Äijö

Last Week

  • Spent time exploring different ways to add new elements to DOM with JavaScript

Next Week

  •  Start to refactor and clean my code

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Stephanie Su

Last Week

  • I am working on the front end for adding widgets.

Next Week

  •  The current design isn’t ideal. I’d like to change it to be more image-based.

Blockers

  • I don’t have good images of the widgets because I don’t have an active-looking dashboard.

Questions

  • None

Anselina Chia

Last Week

  • Added a fix for closing private review requests
  • Did a lot more testing – the hook’s functionality is now basically done

Next Week

  • Refactor
  • Try using select_for_update() to prevent simultaneous review request status checks (this occurs when a commit is pushed to 2 branches)

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Bhushan Ramnani

Last Week

  • Made changes as per the review request 5510. Read Mercurial documentation.

Next Week

  •  Work on post receive hook for mercurial. Hopefully finish coding and
    testing for the post-receive hook.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Joonas Lindholm

Last Week

  • Worked on responsive design on the login and registration pages: /r/5620/

Next Week

  •  Refine /r/5620/ and start working on responsive design on some other page

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Olessia Karpova

Last Week

  • Added error checking to HostingServiceRespositories API, added a new mixin for testing.
  • All work in /r/5602, would appreciate some feedback.

Next Week

  •  Not sure what the next steps are.

Blockers

  • There’s one problem I have with SpyAgency – is it possible to spy on a function bound to an object that does not yet exist?

Questions

  • None

Iines Piesala

Last Week

  • I have refactored the code for the part one. I’ll update the review request
    before sundays meeting. I’ve also looked thru how to implement highlighting of
    the line, what’s given in the URL.

Next Week

  •  I plan to update the review request with code highlighting the wanted row.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Tami Forrester

Last Week

  • Figuring out ways to show both tabs for the review requests and reviews on the profile page.

Next Week

  •  Continue working on that

Blockers

  • Haven’t been able to do much work this week, I’ll get more done next week!

Questions

  • None

Mirai Akagawa

Last Week

  • Learning about mobile development online
  • Trying to make some mock up HTML + CSS, and integrate it on the RB site

Next Week

  •  Continue with the above

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Edwin Zhang

Last Week

  • Continuing to debug the incremental diff expansion

Next Week

  •  Keep working on debugging

Blockers

  • Still trying to figure out how chunks work and why the diff expansion doesn’t expand.

Questions

  • None

Status Reports: March 8, 2014

Anselina Chia

Last Week

  • Fixed a few more review issues for /r/5403 and /r/5543.
  • Worked on the GitHub post-receive hook (simple cases work so far — pushing a commit that references /r/<id> automatically closes that review request with the proper change description, etc.). I’ve created a WIP review request for this at /r/5596.

Next Week

  • Handle and test more complex cases (multiple commits, merge commits, branch creation, etc.).
  • Add a fix so the hook can close private review requests.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Bhushan Ramnani

Last Week

  •  Finished testing the hostingservice urls code, and posted code for review.
  • Understands how mercurial works.

Next Week

  • Start work on Mercurial post receive hook.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Edwin Zhang

Last Week

  • has been getting more familiar with how the diffviewer code works and trying to implement the backend of the diff expansion

Next Week

  • plans to keep working on the backend of the diff expansion

Blockers

  • Trying to figure out how the diff expansion works and what needs to be changed from the diffviewer app to make diff expansion work on the reviews page

Questions

  • None

Iines Piesala

Last Week

Next Week

  • work on part 2 of the project

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Joonas Lindholm

Last Week

  • investigated responsive web design with CSS media queries.
  • tested CSS media queries on the RB login page and came up with a WIP UI prototype /r/5575/ (would like some reviews on that).

Next Week

  • If I’m moving to the right direction with /r/5575/, then I need to refine it, do a better implementation of the media queries, do testing and then post the UI:s along with the CSS for reviews.

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Olessia Karpova

Last Week

  • Working on HostingService and HostingServiceRepositories API + tests

Next Week

  • Continue working on it

Blockers

  • Thinking about how to best test get_remote_repositories within the API tests

Questions

  • None

Mirai Akagawa

on break

Stephanie Su

Last Week

  • Re-set up build environment (after inadvertently breaking it)
  • Refactored code according to various code reviews
  • Started working on front end for adding widgets

Next Week

  • Continue work for adding widgets

Blockers

  • None

Questions

  • None

Tomi Äijö

Last Week

  • Fixed a login issue related to Gitlab (r/5591/)
  • Started implementing the bug tracker integration UI, I’ll update the review request once I’m done for the day (r/5531/)

Next Week

  • Continue to work on the UI and start cleaning things up

Blockers

  • None

Questions

Tami Forrester

Last Week

  • Figuring out how the frontend works, working on the star column for reviews

Next Week

  • Implement the frontend

Blockers

  • Implementing the star column  – i have a few questions about it

Questions

  • None